Planning to use oak for natural flourish outside? But before that you should know that whether is it wise to use planed timber outside or not. Because of its warm and organic look wood is a natural choice for everyone. Especially oak beams comes in various colors and textures, hence they are perfect for garden decorations. But here lies a problem, if softwoods are used outside they need chemical treatment to preserve them. They have a porous texture as a result they are prone to insects and moisture. These elements can penetrate the wood and destroy them from within. All this makes hardwoods the perfect choice for exterior timber features.
Why is Planed Oak Beams Used?
- Aesthetics is the first reason why planed oak beams are used. These timber will make any outdoor look beautiful. Planning exposes the grain pattern of the oak making it look so desirable for feature pieces. The use of planed oak gives a contemporary look to any extension. Traditional beams is one of the places where you can find high quality planed oaks for different purposes.
- The second reason why these planed oak beams are used is safety. Planing the oak beams gives it a smooth and splinter free texture. This finish is far better and safer than the rough sawn timber. Traditional beams makes sure that the planed oak are safer for use. Often people run their hands over furniture, stairs, balcony railing etc. hence these are made up of planed oak as it is much safer.
- The third important function served by the planed oak beams are ease of use. For those who are interested in DIYS, planed oak beams have a number of use. Every person you does DIY uses planed oak above rough sawn timber. As the timber that is the planed oak beams are already finished they can be used immediately. There is no need for sanding and it saves a lot of time as well. Planed oak beams fit flush together giving the entire model a sturdier structure. These oak beams can also be used for flooring and aesthetically pleasing.
- Another reason for using paned oak beams for outdoors is its resistance to the elements and attacks by pests. Planing will not alter any of the properties of wood and planed oak beams are equally durable as rough sawn. While over the time, due to sunlight and rain the beams might lose their color but the properties of the wood will still be possessed. There will be no physical damage caused to the timber. Some owners prefer to regain the original color of the woods.
- There are various types of planed timber available. According to the uses and depending on the number of planes visible there are suitable types. The cost of the beams depends on the number of sides planed. Hence the more sides planed the more will be the cost. So it is important to know your need and the type of planed oak beam required by you as it will help you reduce the cost.
Traditional beams is one of the best manufacturers of these planed oak beams. The quality provided by them is exceptional. So if you are planning to redesign your outdoors, then do refer traditional beams.